Monday, January 19, 2015

Lobster Mango Salad. Yum


I love to cook so when I knock it out of the park, I will share.  Sometimes I come up with my own stuff, and sometimes I modify from a recipe, which I will give a shout out too.  This was inspired by Pappadeaux Lobster salad.  If you don't have a Pappadeaux close, I am very sorry for your loss.  I have been to NOLA several times, and I still haven't eaten anything that tops it.

So, Pappadeaux salad used to be better, because they used apparagus and a couple of other things, but now, no more.  Instead they replaced it with mango, so I decided to combine both.  The best part about this is the dressing (again modified because I think their recipes are pretty hush hush).  If you have never made your own dressing do not freak out, it's very easy.  At least this one was.  So here it goes:

First things first, steam your lobster tails.  I bought three 4-5 oz tails from the supermarket on sale for $5 each (thats when I experiment with the lobster people.  Do not pay full price unless its a very special occasion and you are buying the whole lobster.)  I wish I would have bought four, in the ingredients, Im saying 3-4 for two people.  Some people prefer to grill them, but then I would have to get my husband involved and that would take away my free time from the baby ;)  Also, I think grilling them dries them out.













While they are steaming, throw some avocados in the fridge if they are not already cold, then make your dressing.  I had my baby bullet already out, so I just blended everything in that so I didn't have to wash out my big ol' food processor.  For the oil base, I used Almond Oil, but really you could use and mild oil like Avacado, Grapeseed, maybe even a good olive oil.  Oh one more thing…I also used the Del Monte jarred mango slices that come refrigerated because they are always sweet and cold and easy, but feel free to use fresh mango or frozen.  After the lobsters were some, I used the same boiling water for my asparagus.  Not sure if thats "proper" though...


















Next…duh, assemble your salad.  I liked the mixture of red kale and baby spinach, just because it makes me feel healthier, but use whatever greens you like.  I wait until the very end to add my cubed avocado so that way its nice and cold.  And here is the finished product…see below for instructions and ingredients.  Let me know how it turns out.


















Serving size: 2 Large Salads
Ingredients:
3-4 5oz lobster tails
2-3 cups of spinach or kale or mixed
1cup of cubed mango
1 cup of trimmed asparagus spears cooked lightly and preferably cold
1 large avocado chilled and cubed
3 tablespoons of crumbled bacon
1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese

Dressing:

Juice from two limes
4 tbs of orange juice
4 tbs of Almond oil or other light oil
3 tsp of honey
1/2 cup of diced mango
2 diced green onions
salt & pepper

Steam lobster tails approx. 12 minutes until they curl up
Meanwhile add all ingredients for the dressing in a food processor or blender.  Taste and season as desired.
boil asparagus for two minutes, drain then chill
Assemble salad ingredients in separate bowls.  Lastly add avocado and cut up the lobster with scissors.

Easy Peasy




No comments:

Post a Comment