Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Veggie Black Bean Enchilladas

Have you ever had Chilis Southwest Egg rolls? Well, I found a copy-cat recipe for them years ago and incorporate them into my menu every once in a while.  I even make the avocado ranch to accompany them…yum.  So one night I wanted to make enchilladas and I wanted to save my chicken for another meal, so I started looking to Pintrest for other ideas and I discovered the veggie enchilada, BUT…I decided maybe I should use most of the Southwest Egg Roll ingredients for the enchiladas and Wham…Greatness.  So here is my version of Veggie (Southwest Egg Roll) Enchiladas.

There are two parts to this enchilada business, but don't get discouraged.  They are really quite easy.  I actually usually make them on the nights when my hubby goes to jiujitsu and I have to simultaneously cook while watching an infant.  Usually I actually cut up all the veggies during nap times so I can just dump them in the pan later.

So first, you need to dump the garlic and bell peppers into a couple of tbsp of olive oil and cook for a few minutes until they smell delicious.  Then I add the frozen spinach, which I heat up in the microwave for a few minutes then drain so its not all wet.  Mix it all up until the spinach gets spread around (like 1 minute).  Then add the other green stuff…jalepenos, cilantro, and green onions.  Next come the beans and corn.  I run both through a strainer before adding them so Im not overwhelmed by the juices.  Lastly, mix in the spices and cheese, and give it a few stirs and take it off of the heat.  This is what it looks like.  Yum…see the steam.














Put all of the stuffing into preheated tortillas (I heat them in the microwave a little with a wet towel covering them so they are more pliable).  Pour a little enchilada sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Place the enchiladas in the dish (duh). Pour the rest of the sauce on top, and I like to sprinkle a little cheddar over them too.  Then pop those babies into a preheated oven at 375 and bake for about 25 minutes.  I like mine a little crispy on the edges, so that time works perfect for me.  This isn't in the picture but they are even more delicious with some sliced avocados on top!  Enjoy.  I sure did.


Ingredients:

1 can of rinsed and drained black beans
1/2 can of drained sweet corn kernels
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 jalepeno (minced)
1/4 cup diced green onion
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1 cup of cooked drained spinach (I did frozen)
7-10 tortillas
3/4 cup of shredded cheddar
1/4 cup of cheddar to sprinkle on top
1 can of Enchilada Sauce
1 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tbsp olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment